Acceptances for Class of 2012

Share your experiences and ask questions about curriculum, record keeping, testing, college admission, extra-curricular activities, and whatever else matters about high school at home.

Moderator: MAC

Acceptances for Class of 2012

Postby MAC » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Share all the good news--where have your seniors been accepted?

Hannah's first one is in: University of Wyoming. My mom graduated from there, many years ago.
Margaret

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!
MAC

Re: Acceptances for Class of 2012

Postby vicki » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:56 pm

MAC wrote:Share all the good news--where have your seniors been accepted?

Hannah's first one is in: University of Wyoming. My mom graduated from there, many years ago.

Congratulations, though I doubt she'll end up at UW. It would be somewhat close and pretty, however. Isn't that in Laramie? How/why did she apply there? Does it have a program she likes? I think it's a neat area.
vicki

Postby MAC » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:19 pm

She applied there because they have a criminology major that she is interested in, they hustled her hard at a college fair, they have an equestrian team and the ROTC guy is recruiting her! With WUE, it's no more than CSU. CO does not support higher ed very well and even paying 150% of tuition, it's the same price. She likes the smaller university idea. Our local high school sends a lot of kids to Mines, Western and WY.
Margaret

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!
MAC

Postby vicki » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:55 am

MAC wrote:She applied there because they have a criminology major that she is interested in, they hustled her hard at a college fair, they have an equestrian team and the ROTC guy is recruiting her! With WUE, it's no more than CSU. CO does not support higher ed very well and even paying 150% of tuition, it's the same price. She likes the smaller university idea. Our local high school sends a lot of kids to Mines, Western and WY.

I don't know what WUE is. Has she looked into UNR (Reno)? They might have some courses she likes. How about Univ of WI, Superior--they have criminology--that's where Veronica went when she thought she wanted to go into criminology. And it's only 15 minutes from us (well, 20 if the train is blocking traffic!).

Of course, she'll probably end up at one of the academies instead. :)
vicki

Postby MAC » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:58 am

WUE= Western Undergrad Exchange. Bunch of western unis/colleges went together and offer scholarships to a consortium. KIds in CO can go to MT State, WY, etc for 150% of INstate tuition. It's not that hard to qualify for and it's pretty common. It's funny--it's called woo-ie money. Hannah's hoping to visit WY the week after next.
Margaret

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!
MAC

Postby vicki » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:16 am

MAC wrote:WUE= Western Undergrad Exchange. Bunch of western unis/colleges went together and offer scholarships to a consortium. KIds in CO can go to MT State, WY, etc for 150% of INstate tuition. It's not that hard to qualify for and it's pretty common. It's funny--it's called woo-ie money. Hannah's hoping to visit WY the week after next.

Don't some places offer straight reciprocity? 150% still sounds like a lot--but our schools here in MN aren't all that inexpensive.
vicki

Postby MAC » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:25 pm

No, no reciprocity.
Margaret

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!
MAC

Postby RobinS » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:31 am

I guess the reciprocity is only for grad students? (I was technically a "in-state" student here my first year due to WICHE reciprocity).

I've heard GOOD things about U WY--they have a pretty good geochem program too, evidently. :) Congrats to Hannah!
RobinS

The scientist is not a person who gives the right answers, he's one who asks the right questions.
~Claude Lévi-Strauss

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
~Wernher Von Braun
RobinS

Postby MAC » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:57 am

She had a large monkey wrench thrown in her West Point plans today--the army told her she's too fat! Um, at 5'6" and 140 lbs, I don't think so... Obviously, something was recorded incorrectly, so now she has to go get body fat measurements. It's frustrating, as she made the MEN'S minimum for fitness.
Margaret

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!
MAC

Postby vicki » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Whoa...too fat? :eek I remember being told that when I wanted to be a "stewardess" in 1969. I was 5'8" and 135. Other than that, I haven't heard of someone being disqualified for being fat in a long time.
vicki

Next

Return to Homeschooling Highschoolers